Singlefinger Swap Meet Shop Truck Project

A place for friends of Singlefinger Speed Shop to BS.

Singlefinger Swap Meet Shop Truck Project

Postby Singlefinger » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:56 am

I have to blame this on Fry & Martyn.

Right on the heels of his T-bucket, Fry is doing another el-Cheap-o hot rod, a 36 Chevy 2-dr sedan. This gave Martyn an idea that would help us clean out the "bits & bobs" that have been cluttering up the Singlefinger shop. I quickly warmed to the idea because we REALLY need the room!

A strict budget was put together along with a spreadsheet to record the parts we have in stock & what we need to get for this build. (Engrs do that stuff) The starting point for our plan includes the 6-cly Chevy engine, the 4-speed Saginaw trans, 39 Ford front running gear, & a host of other parts lurking in the back of the shop. The 1st hurdle we had to overcome in this project was our apparent lack of a body or a chassis in this scheme.

As luck would have it, the body issue got solved today with this really cool eBay find- a 1949 White. We got a fairly rust-free cab, hood, headlights, & a super-straight grille in this package deal for $800.00.

ca49_1.jpg
LOADS of attitude & patina on this truck!
!BPs3vyQ!mk~$(KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmUkORBJ08O7Z4Mw~~_1.jpg
Except for a small rust hole on the cowl, everything looks great.
35b3_1.jpg
Awesome grille & look at the cool headlights that come with it!
6fbb_1.jpg
Vern said that the interior looked "primitive", which adds to the character of this project.

As engineers are wont to do, we aim to be as frugal as possible & still prove that we can have a ball on a budget. We're aiming to keep this project below $5,000.00, including about $1,500.00 in swap meet parts that were found stashed in the shop.

We hope to be cruising around with this beast before the end of the summer!

More to Follow-
Autorama -2012 Quote of the weekend:

"Hey, it's those f*ckyou guys from Downstairs!"
Singlefinger

Re: Singlefinger Swap Meet Shop Truck Project

Postby Martyn » Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Here are some historical pictures of White trucks:
Tanker.JPG
White Specs.jpg
shedd_bartrush_foods_white_wc22t.jpg
Martyn

Postby Larry » Sun May 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Martyn & I hit the Bearing Burners swap meet today & after selling some shirts & posters, we wandered about looking for bits & bobs for the new shop truck. We went at the end of the day, so we would find the best bargains. Although we only found a few of the things we need, the prices were righteous!

swapmeet rad.JPG
50's Studebaker truck rad was the find of the day! It'll fit nicely behind the White grille.

60's Chevy truck trans hump- $10
vintage turn signal unit- $10
50's Studebaker truck rad- $10
Murphy was an optimist...
Larry
Site Admin

Postby Larry » Wed May 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Got these on Ebay yesterday, I think that they're pretty cool!

Taillights.jpg
Larry
Site Admin

Postby Danimal » Thu May 07, 2009 2:01 pm

If you haven't found a chassis, let me know. I've got a '50s Chevy truck 3/4 ton that is up for grabs for $100. Straight axle and all but 8 lugs and needs some heat on one of the kingpins to make it turn!!

Or, I've got a guy local to me that had a 36 and 48 Ford chassis. 36 for $100, the 48 for $50 (both cars and stripped to nothing BUT have the X frames in them). I'm in Hungary for work but I'll be back next week and can check OR I can PM you his number if you want. He's an "off the grid" guy.
Is this thing on?
Danimal

Postby dustyoldbodyman » Mon May 11, 2009 2:53 pm

And now for the vision...
This is not locked in stone - which means you can throw stoes at it. Larry is the target - not the artist (me).
'Sides you will get better feedback from throwing stones at Larry about this than me. :lol:
Anyway here is the drawing I did...
Damn, I have to come back later - the file is too big.

49 White halfsize copy.jpg
Body by White, Drawing by Hiser.
Edit by Singlefinger
Anyone car restore a car - it takes a real man to cut one up
dustyoldbodyman

Postby Larry » Sun May 24, 2009 10:51 pm

Martyn & I went to Dorchester, WI to get the cab thurs/fri & we were pleased to find that the truck was "as represented" in the Ebay ad! We did get tossed a bit of a curve ball in the amount of wood in the cab that we'll have to replace or repair, but that is what building a custom hot rod is all about.

White Cab Giong Home.JPG
All loaded up & ready to head back to the shop.

I give Brian (Twisted Metal Choppers) a lot of credit, because he had the foresight to grab all of those cool little details that most guys overlook. He included the brake/clutch pedals (which have the White name cast into them), the O/S rear view mirrors, the steering wheel, the original Guide headlights, etc. Those little details will help us set this rod above the others!
Larry
Site Admin

Postby Larry » Mon May 25, 2009 11:18 pm

The basis for every rod is a good, straight, rust-free frame to hang everything off of. Well, that's just what we scored today!

After 4 hours driving up to the top of Michigan's mitten, I met Gale & his son, who had this old GM frame sitting on top of the parts pile next to the garage. It didn't fit under the 39 Pontiac that he's building, so Gale listed it on Craig'slist for a really fair price, but before we could grab it, the ad disappeared!

Ever the sleuth, Martyn went about searching for the missing owner (must be an English thing). Finding a clue in the 1 email that he had, Martyn was able to find a phone # that led him to Gale's dad. Martyn called Sr & inquired about the frame, whereupon dad put us in touch with his son.

39 Chevy frame.JPG

Since it was in excellent nick & it needed to find a new home, I was happy to help Gale get rid of it. Now it's at the shop & will get set on the frame jig next weekend.
Larry
Site Admin

Postby Singlefinger » Wed May 27, 2009 6:58 am

Day after day, we are being bombarded by media reports of GM & Chrysler sliding into bankruptcy, cities buckling under their debt load, & generally all of the media frenzy about economic woes. Here's how our shop's latest project stands against the current economy:

Program financials:
* Money borrowed: $0.00
* Federal bailout funds used: $0.00
* Federal stimulus funds used: $0.00
* Executive bonuses paid out: $0.00
* Manufacturing jobs created: 2
* OEMs, lawyers, politicians, lobbyists, bureaucrats involved: 0
* Dealerships closed: 0
* Bondholders screwed: 0

Vehicle details:
* Recycled materials content: 90% (predicted)
* Domestic manufacturing content: 100%
* All major parts sourced from US manufacturers (Ford, GM, Chrysler, and White)
* Hydraulic lifter, 235 w/hybrid drive - will burn gasoline and rubber!
* Meets all 1949 federal mileage, emissions and safety standards

"What's good for Singlefinger, is good for America!"
Autorama -2012 Quote of the weekend:

"Hey, it's those f*ckyou guys from Downstairs!"
Singlefinger

Postby hhn » Fri May 29, 2009 6:40 am

Thinking about chassis for a project like the shop truck - I have a 1942 Hudson 8 chassis. It has the same IFS as the
step-downs. or could have a 1946 era Ford cross-member welded in --- even use a 41 to 48 axel. The rear
springs are just the same spacing for a 9" 1964 T-bird rear-end. [thats what is in my 47 pickup] The Hudson and
Terraplane frames from 1937 to 1947 look like the 1940 Ford frame - X -member and all. Most anything fits up
front since they were designed of a straight eight after 1940. A lot of the later Ford truck rear-ends even have 5 1/2 x 5 lugbolt patern to match the early V8 front end assenbly.
1938 packard pu.jpg

too many projects-----------
hhn

Next

Return to General Chat